Create a Default Dynamic Selection Filter
Filters are used to produce a focused, in-context view of data. With time-based and other ordinal data, a common need is to filter based on conditional logic that represents a time or time-like dimension. For example, in a report on monthly sales, users would like to only see data from the preceding four weeks on a rolling basis. Use dynamic default filters to set the First N / Last N items from a filter and avoid manual updates to stay up to date.
- Add or edit filter you want to modify. This can be a filter on the Filter panel or an in-canvas visualization filter.
- Click More next to the filter and choose Dynamic Selection.
- Choose First N Elements or Last N Elements based on your requirements.
- Enter the value in Quantity. For example, enter 6 for the last six rolling months.
You can sort the filter elements with Sort Ascending By or Sort Descending By to make sure the dynamic elements appear at the top.
Now as data is refreshed and added, the filter automatically reflects the correct rolling period.
- You can turn the dynamic selection on or off using the icon, while still preserving the value you entered.