License Manager is a tool for auditing and administering your MicroStrategy licenses and installation. You can run License Manager as a graphical user interface (GUI) or as a command line tool, in either Windows or Linux environments.
In both GUI mode and command line mode, License Manager allows you to:
- Audit your MicroStrategy products.
- Request an Activation Code and activate your MicroStrategy installation.
- Update your license key.
- Determine the number of product licenses in use by a specified user group.
- Display the enabled or disabled licenses used by a particular user group for selected products.
From this information, you can determine whether you have the number of licenses that you need. You can also print a report, or create and view a Web page with this information.
- Update licenses by providing the new license key, without re-installing the products. For example, you can:
- Upgrade from an evaluation edition to a standard edition.
- Update the number of Intelligence Server processors allowed.
- Update the processor speed allowed.
- Activate or deactivate your MicroStrategy installation.
For more information on activating your MicroStrategy installation, see the Installation and Configuration Help.
- Change the number of CPUs being used for a given MicroStrategy product, such as Intelligence Server or MicroStrategy Web, if your licenses are based on CPUs.
- Trigger a license verification check after you have made any license management changes, so the system can immediately return to normal behavior.
- View your machine's configuration including hardware and operating system information.
- View your MicroStrategy installation history including all license keys that have been applied.
- View the version, edition, and expiration date of the MicroStrategy products installed on the machine.
If the edition is not an Evaluation edition, the expiration date has a value of "Never."
For detailed steps to perform all of these procedures, see the License Manager Help (from within License Manager, press F1).
License Manager can be run on Windows or UNIX, in either GUI mode or command line mode.
- Windows GUI: From the Windows Start menu, point to All Programs, then MicroStrategy Tools, and then select License Manager. License Manager opens in GUI mode.
- Windows command line: From the Start menu, select Run. Type
CMDand press Enter. A command prompt window opens. Type
malicmgrand press Enter. License Manager opens in command line mode, and instructions on how to use the command line mode are displayed.
- Linux GUI: In a UNIX or Linux console window, browse to
<HOME_PATH>is the directory that you specified as the home directory during installation. Browse to the folder
./mstrlicmgr, then press Enter. License Manager opens in GUI mode.
- Linux command line: In a Linux console window, browse to
HOME_PATHis the specified home directory during installation. Browse to the folder
./mstrlicmgr -console, then press Enter. License Manager opens in command line mode, and instructions on how to use the command line mode are displayed.