Link from a Prompted Dossier to a Different Dossier
You can use prompted reports to allow users to provide input to filter and retrieve data on a dossier. Using a prompted dossier, you can link to a different dossier to pass prompt answers selected on the source dossier to the target dossier.
You can dynamically answer these prompts by clicking on a data point in the source dossier to trigger the target dossier to appear filtered by the selected data point. Thus, never requiring the source dossier to be prompted or re-prompted.
- Open your prompted dossier.
- Hover over the visualization to use as the source and in the top right, click More > Create Contextual Link.
In the Contextual Link dialog, click the folder icon .
There are limitations when using contextual links. For more information, see KB484398: Limitations for using contextual linking in dossiers.
- Choose a dossier to link to and click OK.
- From the Page drop-down, choose a page of the dossier to target. The visualizations in the target page will be filtered by the source visualization.
- In the Tooltip field, enter a description for your tooltip. The tooltip appears when you hover over the source visualization and links to the target page.
- To pass the filter panel conditions to the target page, select the Pass the filter conditions to the target page checkbox.
- To pass the visualization (in-canvas) filter conditions to the target page, select the Pass selections in all visualizations filter to the target page checkbox.
- Choose a prompt. By default, the first prompt from your prompted dossier is selected. Select Any other prompts to configure a default "Answer prompt" option for any additional prompts added to the target dossier in the future.
- From the Answer prompt drop-down, select how your selected prompt is answered. Choose one of the following:
- Prompt user
- Use the selected data point(s) as prompt answer(s)
- Use the same answer from the source prompt
- Use the default answer
- Ignore the prompt
- Click Save.
- In the source dossier, hover over a data point in the visualization and click the tooltip.
Selecting a data point acts as a prompt answer. When the target dossier appears, the data is filtered by the data point you selected in the source visualization.
- To remove the visualization filter from the source dossier, hover over the visualization in the target dossier and in the top left corner, click Clear Filter .
The attributes and metrics used in the Filter Panel, and in visualization (in-canvas) filters for both the source dossier and target dossier must be the same, or must match filter names. For more information, see KB483883: Best practices for contextual linking in dossiersr.
Visualization Filters and Selectors
KB484398: Limitations for using contextual linking in dossiers