For a list of supported iPhone and iPad devices and operating systems, see the MicroStrategy Readmes.
To maintain control of your MicroStrategy Mobile implementation cycle, it is recommended that you use the iOS Enterprise Deployment process to install the MicroStrategy Mobile applications on your users' devices.
The requirements and workflow for this process are described below.
The following is a high-level overview of the tasks you must perform to begin deploying the MicroStrategy Mobile applications on your users' devices:
- Download the MicroStrategy Mobile Xcode project.
- Use the iOS Developer Portal to create the files you need to build the applications in Xcode.
- Create a distributable archive of the application.
- Create a basic web page for your network, from which users can download the application.
You must have an Apple Mac, running Xcode® 11.1 with the Apple iOS SDK 13.1.
- Your organization must be enrolled in the iOS Developer Enterprise Program. For information about this program, visit http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/.
- You must create an Application ID for the deployed application, using the iOS Provisioning Portal. An Application ID is of the form
Codeis an alphanumeric code, called the Bundle Seed, and is generated when you create the Application ID.
If you are deploying MicroStrategy Mobile for both iPhone and iPad, you must create an Application ID for each.
- You need a location on your network that users can access through their web browsers, using either the HTTP or HTTPS protocol. The distributable archive must be saved to this location.
Deploying the MicroStrategy Mobile Applications
You must use Xcode to create modified versions of the MicroStrategy Mobile applications to deploy them on your users' devices.
The third-party products discussed below are manufactured by vendors independent of MicroStrategy, and the information provided is subject to change. For detailed instructions to perform the following tasks, see the iOS Developer Library at http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/.
To Build and Deploy the MicroStrategy Mobile Applications
To Create a Distribution Certificate for MicroStrategy Mobile
- In the Keychain Access utility on your Mac, use the Certification Assistant feature to create a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file.
- In the iOS Provisioning Portal, in the Certificates section, request a Distribution Certificate. When prompted, upload the CSR file you created in the previous step.
- Once your certificate is ready, download it to your computer.
- Use the Keychain Access utility to install the downloaded certificate to your computer.
This certificate authorizes your Mac as a trusted computer on the network, and is used to sign the MicroStrategy Mobile applications for distribution.
To Create a Distribution Provisioning Profile for MicroStrategy Mobile
- In the iOS Provisioning Portal, in the Provisioning section, create a Distribution Provisioning Profile for the application.
- Download the Provisioning Profile to your computer.
To Download and Install the MicroStrategy Mobile Xcode Projects
- On your Mac, download the disk image with the MicroStrategy Mobile Xcode projects from https://software.microstrategy.com/Download/index.aspx. To do this, select the desired version from the Version drop-down list, and then select iOS from the OS drop-down list. The file name is
MicroStrategy Mobile SDK.dmg.
You must have a username and password to access the download site.
- Double-click the downloaded file. A license agreement is displayed.
- To accept the terms of the license agreement, click Agree. The disk image opens.
- Copy the contents of the disk image to your computer, and eject the disk image.
To Set Up the Xcode Projects
- In the
MicroStrategyMobilefolder copied from the disk image, double-click
MicroStrategyMobile.xcodeproj. The MicroStrategy Mobile project opens in Xcode.
- Choose the MicroStrategyMobileIPhone or MicroStrategyMobileIPad scheme, as applicable.
- Open the property list file for the scheme you are building the application for. The file names are
Info_IPad.plistfor iPhone and iPad respectively.
- Change the Bundle Identifier property to your organization's Bundle Identifier.
- The Bundle Identifier is of the form
YourApplicationName, and is part of the application ID you created in the iOS Provisioning Portal.
- For the scheme you selected, in the Build Settings section, under Code Signing, ensure that your distribution provisioning profile is selected.
To Build the Application for Distribution
- From the Build menu, select Build and Archive. An archived version of the application is built, with the .ipa extension.
- Open Xcode's Organizer window, select the archived application, and click Share Application. The Share Archived Application dialog opens.
- Click Distribute for Enterprise. The archive is built, and you are prompted to enter the information for the application's manifest file, which contains the information that users' devices need to download the application.
- Enter the information for the manifest file. In the URL field, enter the web address for the network location from which users can download the application. For example,
Uploading and Distributing the Application
- Upload the following files to your network location above:
- The application archive. For example,
- The manifest file. For example,
To distribute the application, provide users with a URL to the manifest file, using the following syntax:
You can provide this URL in an email, or by using a basic HTML page that users can connect to.