You can use alert-based subscriptions to ensure that users automatically receive notifications on an iPhone or iPad with MicroStrategy Mobile when a metric on a report meets specific threshold conditions. You can create an alert-based subscription using the Alerts Editor in Web.
These alerts are "pushed" to MicroStrategy Mobile for iPhone or iPad by Intelligence Server. For information on how these push notifications are displayed on the device, see the MicroStrategy Mobile Analysis Help.
The following high-level procedure provides steps to enable push notifications for MicroStrategy Mobile on an iPhone or iPad.
- MicroStrategy delivers alert notifications through the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS). Therefore, you must have an Apple iOS developer license to send mobile push notifications. For information about the various iOS developer licenses available, see http://developer.apple.com/programs/.
- Your Intelligence Server machine must have a direct internet connection to the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS).
- You must have MicroStrategy Distribution Services to use push notifications with MicroStrategy. For information about purchasing a Distribution Services license, contact your MicroStrategy account executive.
- Push notifications must be enabled on an iPhone or iPad for the device to receive MicroStrategy push notifications. In addition, the first time MicroStrategy Mobile for iPhone or iPad is opened on a device, the user is prompted to allow the application to receive push notifications.
- To enable push notifications, Mobile Server must be configured to use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption. For detailed instructions on configuring Mobile Server to use SSL, see the Enabling Secure Communication chapter in the System Administration Guide.
High-Level Steps to Enable MicroStrategy Push Notifications for iPhone or iPad
- Install the APNS certificate on the Intelligence Server machine that provides the push notifications.
For instructions, see the documentation provided with your iOS developer license.
- In Developer, create a Distribution Services device for iPhone or iPad.
For detailed instructions, see the Scheduling Jobs and Administrative Tasks chapter in the System Administration Help, or see the Developer Help .
- Create a configuration for the application (see Configuring MicroStrategy Mobile for iPhone or iPad). In the iPhone Settings or iPad Settings tab of the configuration, make sure that you select the Enable Push Notification check box.
- The first time the user opens MicroStrategy Mobile for iPhone or iPad on a device, the user is prompted to allow push notifications for MicroStrategy Mobile. The user must select Allow push notifications.