Create and Edit Object Prompts for Reports
Object prompts provide users the ability to add additional objects to a report. You can let users select from almost any object available in MicroStrategy. The objects the user selects in the prompt are placed on the report. This essentially allows users to create their reports, although you use the object prompt to control what objects they can choose to include on their reports.
For example, you can create a prompt that allows users to choose from a list of existing stand-alone filters to apply to the report. Or, you can create a prompt that displays the Day, Month, Quarter, and Year attributes to users so that the user can specify the granularity of the report. Object prompts enable you to provide versatile reports to users.
Object prompts can be used in many places, including the following:
- Object prompts containing attributes: Any place that can accept a list of attributes.
- Object prompts containing metrics: Embedded in a set qualification filter and any place that accepts metrics.
When you create an object prompt, you can decide whether users can select from a specified list of MicroStrategy objects, or you can define a specific search that presents an up-to-date set of objects for users to choose from. Including a search object in the object prompt, rather than specifying the exact object names, allows users to select from new objects that might not have been part of the project when you first created the prompt.
Check out the video below to learn more!
- Open the Workstation window.
- Choose File > New Prompt.
- Select the environment and project where you want to save your prompt.
- Select Prompt for Objects from the drop-down.
- In the Multiple objects text box, search for and add filters to use when displaying objects in the prompt.
- Edit the predefined text for the Prompt title and instructions.
In Answer restrictions, set the minimum and maximum values that can be entered by the user. You can specify a minimum value even if you do not specify a maximum value.
- To require users to answer the prompt before running the report, select Prompt answer required.
To determine whether users can save and reuse their prompt answers, and if so, how many prompt answers they can save for the prompt, select Personal answers allowed and choose an option.
Single Save and reuse only one prompt answer.
Multiple Save and reuse multiple prompt answers.
- Click Save.